Thursday, April 13, 2006

Just Rambling...

I am waiting for a delivery today so I am stuck in the house or at least around the house...so I figured what a great time to tell the tale of "Two Fathers and One Dad".

My mother filed for a divorce when I was 7 and my sister was 6. She divorced the man that gave me my genes and very little else. He was an alcoholic with a nasty temper and thats about all that I remember about him...aside from two incidents that seem to define him in my mind. The first being, him standing over me and my mom and my little sister, screaming at us and then walking away while swallowing the last drop of alcohol from the bottle in his hand and then turning and throwing the empty bottle at all three of us...not a horrible memory but not a memory I would choose to leave my children with. The second incident...me and my sister and my mom returning home to a front door that was left wide open, blood all over the door handle and smeared all over the door, blood every where on every surface and dripped all over the floor, a huge picture window completely smashed with glass laying every where, apparently my father could not find his key and he was in such a rush to find money for more alcohol that he decided to jump through the huge window in the living room leaving shattered glass and blood all over the floor, he smashed my Mickey Mouse piggy bank and stold all of my money leaving broken Mickey and blood all over my bed and blankets and then he did the same to my sisters Donald Duck piggy bank. A very loving man with so very much to offer...that would not describe my blood father. I would not say that I am bitter toward him or that I have been horribly damaged by him,I do not think that I need to lay on a couch and spend hundreds of dollars to work through my brief life with him, I have very few memories of him. He barely exists for me except for a few fleeting moments when I wish he had been something more then what he was.
My mother filed for divorce again when I was 14 and my sister was 13. She divorced the man that gave me my love of gardening and nature and the obsessive drive to finish what I have started (unfortunatly more often then not I am left with the feeling of complete failure because of this trait, my own mental deficency, he is not to blame). His favorite saying "If your going to do it half~assed, don't even start it at all". I have a million wonderful memories of this man ,he was a great listener and he was strong and hard working and humble. He could make me laugh until I felt like I was gonna pee my pants. He taught me so many things and I loved him completely, but he didn't love my mother and he stayed far longer then he should have.
Both of these men were my fathers. But neither one was ever my Dad. There has only been one constant man in my life that could even come close to deserving that title. His name was Leo,he was my grandpa. He was there when I was born, he was there when I took my first steps, he laughed when I laughed, he cried when he saw my tears, he listened to my teenage troubles and walked with me through my adult fears. He smiled with his eyes and loved with his whole heart and I am so thankful that he was in my life,he passed away when Emily was 2. I still feel him with me every day and if I close my eyes I can still see his smile...he gave me the security and the faith to realize that not all men leave...

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Alcoholism is a dreadful disease, and it is, a disease recognized as such by the AMA. I've a lot of second hand experience with it, as my wife, among other things, counsels addicts and alcoholics; and having been in the news business, was apparently surrounded by such addicts. I believe you've given me a idea for my own blog...but today's not only my anniversary, but a heavy writing.

Touching and well written piece, incidentally.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LUC,
I am sorry for the men in your life who were shits, but I know that you did have a great grandpa. I had the priviledge of meeting him when hanging out with you and your sis during the summers. He was the kindest,sweetest, most gentle soul I have ever met. I talked to my mom about him more than once and I told her that he was a saint and I was amazed that God had made such a wonderful genuine man to share your grandmothers life as well as you and your families. He always talked to us with such respect and really listened. This was a new concept for me because my mother surely didn't listen to me and my father was too drunk and miserable himself to notice. I remember one time we were playing croquet in the yard and I couldn't hit the ball and he taught me how to play because I had never played before. Well, anyway enough rambling........
Take care!
Blondie

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only knew him for a few years but he was one of the kindess people you could ever meet. I also think alot about him and my brother , both taken way to early. He had to be someone very special to make such a big impact
in my life. Grandma always says that I
remind her of him, I could only hope to be that great of a man someday.
I love him and miss him, I only wish I could have met him 20 years earlier.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Lucy Kruze said...

Refugee From Reason:
I think it is so sad that alcohol has so much power over so many men and woman, they can loose everything they care about and still they can't stop drinking, Kruze's dad lost his whole family and two businesses because of alcohol and still the man can not go a day without it.
Happy Anniversary!!
And I hope you had a productive day of writing too...

5:04 AM  
Blogger Lucy Kruze said...

Blondie:
My grandpa was a great guy wasn't he and he always loved it when we had our friends come and stay with us, I think he just loved having kids around him,he was great with Em and TJ and Jake I just wish Sar would have gotten to meet him. Every weekend him and my grandma would come and visit and grandpa would always take Em and Tj for walks and to the park and he'd push them on the swings for hours, in the spring he took Em to a park close by our house so that she could see all the tulips and the daffodils blooming he was an amazing man.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Lucy Kruze said...

Kruze :
I think that grandma is right, in a lot of ways you are like grandpa and I think that it was wonderful that the two of you got so close over the years, I wish that you would have been able to know him longer too, I know that he would have loved our house and sitting on the porch talking to you and watching all of the animals and of course he would have tried to help you get your projects around here done too (even though he was supposed to take it easy)just like in our first house. He was one of a kind and I'm just thankful that he was with us for as long as we had him.

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that you have such great memories of your grandfather. Sounds like an awesome man!!

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info baccarat black bouquet rose Hansen hair remover Baccarat probability odds Free fax software 1996 suzuki vitara v6 Baccarat heart red puffed paperweight about lipitor lifted isuzu rodeo

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Double sided dildo ass Ale shoe painting appliances licking shaved pussy Software support agreement templates Webhosting webdesign content management system dsl tarife bextra 10 mg

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home