Tuesday, November 29, 2005

All of my Worldly Possessions, just to see him smile...

Every day, or at the very least every other day, I see the same old man walking down the street, where ever I am driving and no matter how distracted I am I always see him. He is not a tall man although I wouldn't call him a "little" old man either. Just ordinary and probably invisible to most everyone in town. He is always wearing the same coat whether it is 80 degrees and sweltering or 10 below...always with the worn old coat. I have always wondered where he is headed...or if he has an exact destination at all...maybe he is just walking for the sake of walking or maybe he has nothing better to do. He never smiles. I have seen him at least 99 times always he has the same expression. Not exactly a frown , more of a face forward, eyes on the sidewalk needy-ness. When I first took notice of him I was mostly just curious... exercise? Fresh air? Lonely? Bored? Now everytime I see him I just want to slam the brakes and jump out and beg him to tell me what he is doing. Please tell me where you are going...do you want a ride. Some days he just looks sooo cold and I can see him shivering and his breath escapes in big clouds around his red face. Could a person be that lonely? To walk out into the cold frigid air just to be near the constant movement of strangers? God, that is just so incredibly sad. I was on my way to church on a Wednesday night and I seen him walking down the sidewalk, every single inch of my body was screaming at me to get out and ask him if he wanted to come along...I didn't. I regret that. I still do not know why I chose to push the gas and not the brake. One morning I was taking the girls to school and he was standing on the corner waiting for the traffic to stop so that he could cross the street. He looked in our direction and then he turned his head and looked the other way, he turned back and looked right into our truck and right into my eyes. I was shocked to have that aknowledgement. I wonder if he could tell that his open stare startled me? I really just want to see that man smile I want to know who he is and why he always walks alone. Now that we have made eye contact its really more of an obbession then a curiosity. That old man needs to crinkle those cheeks...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have seen him so often, chances are high that he too has seen you. Remember that a smile begets a smile. Those darn things are contagious. Simple things in life are what matter.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Luc, I agree with Kathy, maybe he just needs someone to make that first move to smile at him or perhaps he is an angel it does say that angels walk among us. And it says in the Bible that if you have intertained an angel you have intertained the Lord. Though in this day and age it is quite scary to help others sometimes, you just don't know who to trust to not harm you.... How sad I hope he is not homeless.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LUC,
I agree with Kathy, Maybe you should smile at him or wave and see if you get a response. He might surprise you and wave back and smile! Try it sometime and see what happens.-KIM NElson

6:17 PM  
Blogger Lucy Kruze said...

Hi Girls !! I think that you are all right..he needs to see a friendly face with a great big smile...but what I was planning was a great big smile and an even bigger plate of pumpkin cookies!! Or maybe Pecan chocolate chip cookies...either way I bet he'll smile for cookies! ;o)By the way Hi Kimmer!! How are you and Randy and Mikie and Deanna? Was the move ok? Are you guys all settled now? Take care girl and thanx for checkin' out my blog!! Miss ya!

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure that a plate of your cookies will put a smile on this mans face from ear to ear. Your cookies are the BEST!!! Not to mention...when you share one of your warm smiles with him he couldn't possibly not smile back.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Lucy Kruze said...

Well guys...I haven't seen the walking man since I wrote this post...I'm hoping that it just got a little too cold for him to venture out this week...I've got my eye out for him though so hopefully very soon he wil be munchin' cookies...speakin' of cookies Reish we need to plan our christmas cookie bakin' day...what works for you?

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home