Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Lesson 2...

Lilli's second class went much like the first...I could go into great detail and bore you all to death but instead lets just say this...our class instructors...both of them kept acting as though I was completely incompetent and had know idea what the heck I was doing...I will admit that they were mostly right and I was starting to get really frustrated and impatient with Lil, I think they could both see the frustration because at one point one of them came over and took Lil's leash and proceeded to try and get her to sit...she refused and made it known that she would continue to refuse until Hell froze over...dog trainer "pro" refused to give into tiny four legged beast and so a power struggle started...Lil won. The trainer then hauled Lil's little fannie over to trainer number 2 and informed him that Lil wouldn't sit...Trainer 2 then took up the fight...no luck for him either, so his response to me was this..."this here dog has an Extreme Alpha personality Good Luck getting her to bow down to you".
And that was Lesson 2....

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, I know I'm an old guy and have a comment for just about everything. Dog training's not that challenging, just tedious. Also, I don't believe in heavily training dogs, as they should have some degree of independence and personality. Now, the advice: There are a ton of training books out there, but they all come down to repetition and reward. For Rex, I used a 30 foot training leash and started with "sit" and "stay." It took about 7 hours over a few days for him to respond in at least a rudimentary manner. "Come" took a bit longer, as did "Down and Stay."

Most dogs want to the pack leader (in fact, there's a pretty decent PBS show on dogs that ran recently). Good owners let them know that the owner's the leader in most cases.

Lilli'll get it.

Hope all's well and take care.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Blondie said...

Luc,
I was told that our meg had a very dominant personality by our vet shortly after we got her and my sis told me to try an exercise with her. It consists of standing over the top of her with her between your legs and holding her there as well as holding her down on her side with your hands on the scruff of her neck and one on her belly and talking to her in a soothing voice also leaning over her and don't let go until she is calm. I did it with Meg and she screamed at first and my sis said it was because she didn't want me to be the "dominant" one and after a few tries, she calmed right down and let me do it with her and she is ok now. She still has a listening problem at times, but she has gotten a lot better. Petsmart sells a great book about the basics of puppy-training if you are interested. I thought it was short and sweet and to the point. Lil'll be just fine, just give her some time and don't beat yourself up over it. You are a great puppy mommy and it will all be ok.

7:56 PM  
Blogger KG Finfrock said...

Your post just put me on a rant. I just had to blog my response as it may help others and I borrowed your pic of Lilli as well.
http://fpnews.blogspot.com/

Is there a specific problem you are having with Lilli?

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home