Friday, March 31, 2006

Learning Country....



Well there are two things that I have become relatively good at predicting out here in the middle of 4 fields...first and foremost the fact that as soon as all of the signs of spring have arrived to brighten my world...the farmer's world awakens as well...in the form of a gigantic tractor and an even bigger manure spreader. As soon as the birdies start chirpin' and the trees start buddin' the "shit" starts flying and I mean that in the absolute most literal way. I do not nessesarily have a problem with the "poop factor" a farmer 's gotta do what a farmer's gotta do...but I have a problem with the location of the flying fertilizer... which brings me to the second thing I have gotten good at predicting...the farmer appartently spreads his liquid gold on the fields that he intends to plant corn...I have come to realize this, last spring he would arrive every morning promptly at 8:30 (exactly the time I head out to my porch with my coffee cup in hand to watch the morning unfold...I had to revise that morning tradition just a bit...8:00 so that the coffee and I were gone from the porch before the "stink" arrived)last spring the "poop flew largely in the field directly in front of our porch...I kept thinking...Geez I wonder what Mr.Farmerman is going to plant there....Wheat? Alfalfa? Clover? I was so excited at the thought of those three things...how beautiful it would be to wake up every morning to a 80 acre spread of wheat...imagine how disappointed I was when I started to see tiny rows of green sprouts appearing throughout the field...long wide rows much too far apart to be wheat or clover or alfalfa...CORN!! It was corn and it was going to totally block our view not to mention leave us feeling completely isolated from the outside world (as if we don't already feel that way sometimes, living down this 200 mile long driveway). My only consolation was in knowing (hoping) that farmers rotate their crops every year...I knew (hoped)that this year would be something short and green and beautiful and non-view-obstructing...NOPE...CORN...the "shit" is flyin' right in the exact same field as last year...I could run out to the field right this minute and throw myself to the ground and beg Mr.Farmerman to pleeeeeeesae pleeeease plant wheat I beg of you Sir in the riped baggy biboveralls and the green and yellow faded farmer cap...But No I will sit back quietly and take this blow like a good little student of the country world and not say a peckin' thing....because I know without a doubt that if I say that this corn bothers me I will be seeing life through corn stalks for many many many years to come...I am learning...

15 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Kruze said...

Just on a side note...I do not have a problem with fields of corn...just one field of corn directly in front of our porch...I could handle every field to the back and sides being corn...

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your blog!!!!!!!!!!!
J.Lo

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are soooooooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!! Angie

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u rock my world!!!!
K.U.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

duke rocks ur socks!!!!!!!!





DUKE!

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a "Warm, Wet Kiss" for u!!!
love ya babe!!
K.U.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're "Armed and Fabulous"!!!!!!!!!!
Sandra

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are my "Beautiful Soul"!!!
J.M.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you and I go get a manicure sometime?!?!?
R.Witherspoon

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lucy....
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
APRIL FOOLS!!!!!!!!!<=

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what is more funny...your post or your daughter!! As to your post, so far I have only seen the manure spreader from a distance or going down the road (other then ours!!) and I'm quite thankful. Of course I do have the poop factor right at the property line (basicly my front yard) without need of the spreader...two new calves so far and only five more to go. I feel for you...country does equal the poop factor, but every day with multiple loads can be a little much. If I go by your prediction then maybe we're going to have wheat, alfalfa, or clover growing by us. :o) That's a nice fantasy world to live in...thanks Lucy!!

Good one Em...your Mom probably fell out of her chair when she saw all the comments posted!! :o)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Lucy Kruze said...

Em you are soooo lucky that you are so darn cute and your mamma loves ya!! Or there could be trouble!!Messin' with my blog I should kick your little behind....makin' me think that many people are readin' it!! There of course will be major payback...in the form of a certain picture I took of you and Sarah G after your sister and her friend did your make up and made you both wear those hideous outfits!! 8x10 glossy sent to all of your classmates should do the trick!!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

I can relate to the farmer spreeding shit on the fields, everytime I would hang clothes out in the spring on warm days the farmer would spread manure on the fields never fail. This being a smell you can never get used to.
Love the April fools miss Emis played on you.
The ones I got this year were from the teen: "mom my health class is having a fieldtrip to the movie "Brokeback Mountain", were discusssing homosexuality" me: "to hell you are"
And from our loving mother: "my home pregnincy test is positive, what am I going to do" in a very upset voice.
Learned a sad fact about myself, since I had a great Aprils fools set up but totally forgot it, I am pathetic and gullible.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Lucy Kruze said...

Anna
Mom played her little home pregnancy test on me too!! How could you believe that one considering the woman had a complete hysterectomy over 9 years ago!! Gullible and maybe an undercover blonde? hehehehe


I love tj's prank...of course you know how much I love the Brokeback jokes!!

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Meridia lose weight bulk email Bag cleaner panasonic vacuum Bill hudgins chevrolet health generic protonix palm software Effects protonix What is the absorbtion rates of vitamins hiking equipment Tower dryers Camping food backpacking snack recipes nutrition levels of vitamins and minerals norfolk drive data recovery inflammatory+rosacea Free free protonix online online business card reader child+car+seat+cover

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home